Looking forward to your vacation on the coast of Maine? Let us introduce you to a sampling of local authors and/or books set in the Camden, Maine area to help you get a feel for the place before you arrive!
Check these out before you get here. Or, when you’re in the neighborhood, stop into longtime local favorite bookstore the Owl & Turtle for a good read and a cup of coffee.
- Rizzoli & Isles series, by Tess Gerritsen. Medical thriller fiction. Best-selling local author.
- Mike Bowditch (Maine game warden) crime novel series, by Paul Doiron. Crime fiction. Best-selling local author, local setting.
- That Camden Summer, by LaVyrle Spencer. Fiction. Local setting.
- Murder with Puffins, Donna Andrews. Mystery. Local setting.
- Empire Falls, by Richard Russo. Fiction. Best-selling local author.
- Tide Trilogy (High Tide at Noon, Storm Tide, Ebbing Tide), by Elisabeth Ogilvie. Fiction. Local author, local setting.
- Olive Kitteridge, by Elizabeth Strout. Pulitzer Prize-winning fiction. Local setting, best-selling Maine author.
- Arundel, by Kenneth Roberts. Historic fiction. Maine setting and author.
- The Maine Massacre, by Janwillem van de Wetering. Crime fiction. Maine author and setting.
- A Seal Called Andre: the Two Worlds of a Maine Harbor Seal, by Harry Goodridge and Lew Dietz. Middle reader non-fiction. Local authors and setting.
- Stern Men, by Elizabeth Gilbert. Fiction. Local setting.
- Boar Island, by Nevada Barr. Crime fiction. Maine setting (Acadia NP).
- When We Were the Kennedys, by Monica Wood. Memoir. Maine author and setting.
And of course, many MANY books by Stephen King. Best-selling Maine author, Maine settings. Heard of him?