The growing season of coastal Maine is short but very sweet, so when everything’s in bloom, we like to stop and smell the roses. If you take advantage of one of the following opportunities to visit some of the area’s loveliest gardens, you’ll likely run into visitors and locals alike.
- July 10: Georges River Land Trust’s Gardens in the Watershed: This self-guided tour, held on July 10, 10:00 – 4:30, features seven gardens on the scenic St. George peninsula just outside Rockland. Tickets are $25.00 and lunch may also be pre-purchased when you buy your ticket here. Net proceeds benefit the Land Trust’s conservation work.
- July 21: 69th Annual Camden Garden Club House & Garden Tour: This popular annual tour takes place this year on Thursday, July 21, 9:30 – 4:00, rain or shine. Tickets are $37.50 each and are available for purchase here; or, you may purchase tickets on the day of the tour for $40.00 at Maine Sport Outfitters in Rockport and Camden Hills State Park.
- Fridays: Belfast Garden Club Open Gardens 2016: Every Friday through August 12, a different Belfast garden (and sometimes the house, too) is open to the public from 10:00 – 4:00, rain or shine. Visit this website to see which garden is open this week and how to get there. Tickets are available at Left Bank Books in downtown Belfast for $5.00/each, or you can get a $30 season ticket and visit all eight gardens over the summer.
August 3: Merryspring Kitchen Tour: This self-guided tour visits eight uniquely designed Camden-area kitchens, open from 9:30 – 3:30. Each kitchen offers a tasting from one of our many talented local chefs. Tickets are $30 ahead of time, or $40 on the day of the tour. Net proceeds benefit the Merryspring Nature Center in Camden. Click here for more information.
September 9 – 11: Midcoast Artisans Tour: Visit artist studios for a unique opportunity to see artisans at work, talk with them about their creative process, and purchase local, handmade pieces of art. More information here.
What better way to get to know an area than from the ground up? Here are several options for exploring the streets of Camden and Belfast on foot.
- Friday Walking Tours: The Camden Public Library and the Camden Area Business Group host free walking tours of downtown Camden every Friday at 4:00 pm, June 24 through September 9. The tours begin on Atlantic Avenue at the Children’s Garden of the Library and end at the Camden Opera House. The tours are free and last approximately an hour; donations are appreciated. Reservations are encouraged–call the library at 236-3440 or stop by the Circulation Desk during library hours.
- Camden Heritage Tree Walking Tour: A brochure detailing this self-guided tour past noted heritage trees along several downtown streets is available for free at the Camden Town Office.
- Belfast Historical Society & Museum History and Architecture Walking Tours: Two tours within Belfast’s Historic District—Church Street & Primrose Hill and Downtown & Waterfront—feature houses, churches, and commercial structures of historic and architectural interest. Self-guided tour maps can be picked up at the Belfast Museum and the Belfast Area Chamber of Commerce.
- Belfast In-town Nature Tour: Download the Belfast Bay Watershed Coalition’s brochure here and take yourself on a tour of the city’s natural wonders without straying too far from the beaten path.