We want you to enjoy every minute you spend here in beautiful mid-coast Maine. Here’s a list of things you’ll want to pack for your visit (and things you don’t need to pack) so that your vacation is relaxed and comfortable.
What to bring with you
- Bug spray – We joke about the black fly being the Maine State Bird, but being swarmed by black flies and mosquitoes is no fun. Maine is best enjoyed outdoors, so don’t forget your insect repellent, whether you plan to hike in nearby Camden Hills State Park or simply enjoy the view from your deck. (Also, if you have one of those handy tick removal tools, bring that along, too.)
- Clothing for any weather – The key to dressing in Maine, even in the summer, is layers. You may be socked in with a cool, damp fog in the morning, enjoy a warm afternoon, and then find yourself shivering under the stars at night. Here on the coast, you’ll want both short- and long-sleeved tees, a warm fleece or sweatshirt, and long pants on hand, as well as light raingear, because you never know.
- Sunscreen and a sun hat – We hope you’ll get outside as much as you can while you’re here in vacationland, but urge you to protect your skin when you do. If you’re on the water, the glare can magnify the intensity of the sunlight even more. Be safe.
- Hiking shoes and water bottle – Camden Hills State Park and many other local nature preserves offer myriad trail options for enjoying the Maine woods, with water views, on easy paths to rigorous, all-day treks. Don’t forget to pack appropriate footwear for exploring the natural wonders of mid-coast Maine!
- Phone charger – No one leaves home without their phone these days, but don’t forget your charger. The nearest Apple store is a couple hours away.
- Beach towels – If you plan to spend some time soaking up rays at one of the area beaches, a big beach towel will be more comfortable and appropriate for the sand and salt water than the bath towels that come with your vacation rental.
What you don’t need to bring
- Groceries – Who wants to grocery shop after a day of traveling? Let us know if we can help by stocking your vacation rental, with anything from a few basics to specialty foods, before you get here.
- Bed linens and towels – All our vacation rentals come complete with crisp, clean linens and full sets of fluffy bathroom towels, so no need to load up luggage with your own.
- Kayaks and stand-up paddleboards– Getting out on the water—on one of the several clean, scenic lakes that dot the local landscape or on the sparkling ocean waves of Penobscot Bay—is the best way to explore this special corner of Maine. We can help you arrange kayak and SUP rentals with local company Ducktrap Kayak and have what you need delivered right to your vacation home for immediate use.
- Baby equipment – Traveling with children can be stressful enough without having to lug all the necessary equipment. We can help arrange rentals of full-size cribs, strollers, high chairs, car seats, toys, and more with Mid-Coast Family Rentals. They deliver, assemble, and pick up, so you can have at hand whatever you need to help your little ones best enjoy their time away in Maine.
- Cleaning supplies – We can provide cleaning services for your vacation rental, so you can make the very most of your time off.